Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Movies - "Hitman" is Brutally Violent

"Gamestar spoke to Timothy Olyphant and director Xavier Gens about their big screen adaptation of the popular video game "Hitman."

"When I read the script I didn't immediately think of a game. It reminded me more of the John Woo films, or of Luc Besson's "The Professional" or the Korean "Bittersweet Life," said Olyphant.

Inspired by Asian action movies, Gens added that violence will be the main focus of the movie.

"I gave the Hitman a dirty image. In the game, Hitman is an @sshole, I wanted to keep that in the movie. It's about an evil man fighting against other evil men," Gens said. "I wanted really true and dirty violence - from splashing blood to broken arms."

"When I started working on this, the studio asked me to make it so that it would get a PG-13 rating. I told them I didn't want to make another 'Resident Evil' or 'Silent Hill.' To make it fit the game, there'd have to be more violence. After a lot of discussion I was able to get through to them. I wanted to do my own movie and not someone else's," he added. "All in all the film is distinctly more brutal than traditional action movies." "

I wasn't really that excited for this movie, but this is some really good news. Comparing the script to Luc Besson's "The Professional" (one of my favorite films), using inspiration from Asian action movies, and fighting the studio to make it more violent, and much better than other video game movies, is truly awesome in my book. Now hopefully the movie doesn't suck. I wasn't overly impressed with the teaser trailer, so I never ended up posting it, but you can check it out below.


For a higher resolution version, head over to IGN.

SOURCE

No comments: